I realized that I have blog posts mentioning memorable couples, families, and characters, but I have never mentioned memorable friendships I have come across. They have already been talked about, but never in the same place. Below is going to be a list of memorable friendships and I will explain why I love that friendship.
- Elphaba and Glinda- this friendship is the first friendship that comes to mind when I think of musicals. The musical after all talks about their friendship and they start out as rather reluctant roommates and they form a close bond. Even when they both fall in love with Fiyero, they don’t let a boy get in between them. Even when Glinda is in a relationship with Fiyero, Elphaba does not try to steal Fiyero away from her and Glinda does not try to steal Fiyero back when Fiyero enters into a relationship with Elphaba. The song, “For Good” shows just how deep their friendship is and how they have touched each others lives and changed each other for the better.
2. Jack Kelly and Crutchie- these two characters are from Newsies. Their friendship and bond is shown during “Santa Fe (Prologue). Jack is quite protective of Cructhie especially because Crutchie has a bum leg. He does not want Cructhie to end up in the Refuge because Jack knows through experience how horrible that place is and knows just how vulnerable Crutchie will be there. They are so close and they do sleep on the same rooftop. When Cruthcie gets arrested later on in act I after a big fight breaks out , it causes Jack a lot of inner conflict because he knows Cruthcie will be sent to the Refuge and knows his friend will be quite vulnerable there
3. Newsies- I love the brotherly love they have for each other. They are like this one big family. Jack is the leader of them all. You first realize how amazing their bond is during “Carrying the Banner”. When Pulitizer raised the prices of the papers, they go on strike to stand up for what they believe in and they support each other.
4. Friends of the ABC- similar to the Newsies, is the Friends of the ABC. They are from Les Mis. Enjolras is the leader of this group and just like the Newsies, they have a brotherly love for each other. This group is a political group and are planning an uprising in response to the weak government France has at the time. They are so passionate towards their cause and even when they know they are going to lose, they still stand up for what they believe in. The first scene you meet them as a whole is during “Red and Black” and each song they sing is full of passion and hope. But “Drink With Me” isn’t full of hope, but instead is full of sadness because they know at that point, they are most likely going to lose and most likely going to lose their lives.
5. Rent friends- Mark, Roger, Mimi, Angel, Collins, Maureen, and Joanne form a very close bond throughout Rent. They are like family and even in the midst of fear, they live in the moment and in love. They do struggle at times, but they always remain close friends.
What are some memorable close friendships? What is your favorite musical friendship?