March 17th, 2019 was an exciting day. Blumenthal Performing Arts released Charlotte’s upcoming season. Today I thought I would say what they are. I will highlight the ones I am looking forward to the most and say something about the ones I know something about. There are two categories when it comes to Blumenthal- broadway lights and the extras.
Once on This Island
- From what I read, it sounds like it is Caribbean and dealing with Gods and Goddesses. It is about one girl’s journey and a quest to discover what is stronger love or death. It won last year’s Tony for best Musical Revival.
The Play That Goes Wrong
- This sounds hilarious. They literally have to cast actors who play terrible actors. A lot of things go wrong during this play as the title says, but will give you a laugh.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- I actually have loved this story since I was a child. I watched the movie, Willy Wonka and a Chocolate Factory, as a child, and fell in love with that movie musical. So I always loved it and later watched the newer Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The original, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, has better songs- I agree about that. Basically is about Charlie and his day spent in Willy Wonka’s Chocolate factory after finding a Golden ticket.
Come From Away
- Happening after the events of 9/11 after a couple of planes had to stop in Newfoundland. I heard a lot of good things about this musical.
My Fair Lady
- I love this musical. While I love it, still have my eyes on Frozen and Anastasia for 2020.
- I had a huge feeling this musical will be coming to Charlotte next season. Ever since hearing some of the songs last year, I wanted to see it. While Frozen is the one I want to see the most, this is still high on the list. Take a journey to the past during this musical with Anya as she discovers her past.
Jesus Christ Superstar
- Basically Jesus’ last couple of days from Judas’ point of view. A Rock opera as they call it. I am not that sold on this musical. I heard these songs a number of times on Pandora, and after a while got kind of sick and tired of them- not the best sign at all.
- Out of all musicals and shows that are coming, Frozen is the one that is highest one the list. Ever since first falling in love with it in 2013, I wanted there to be a stage show. I have been dying to see it since it turned into a stage show last year on Broadway. “For the First Time in Forever”, it is on tour. Love the characters- Elsa and Anna in particular. I love this take on “true love”- what exactly is true love- does it always have be romantic? Let yourself go during this musical.
The New One
- Do you know what’s funny? Originally I thought Les Mis was part of 2018-2019’s season. Turns out it is part of 2019-2020’s season. This is so on the list. When I see Les Mis, I am sold automatically. Epic, passionate, powerful, and highly emotional- in a way that I can’t describe. Hope, forgiveness, compassion, love, sacrifice, humanity, and redemption are found in this tragic and heartbreaking musical- those themes are why it is inspiring and uplifting. Characters to fall in love with- there is going to be a character to emotionally connect to. Brilliant crafted songs that are so powerful that hit in such a way that you can’t describe. I strongly hope to catch Les Mis this year when it comes.
- Just like Les Mis, thought it was part of the current season. Turns out to be part of the upcoming season.
The New Colossus
Blue Man Group
- I still find this to be one of the oddest ones to even be a musical
- Would love to see this again. A true story on what friendship is- as in how friends change you for the better and what we learn from them. A story of two strong and powerful female protagonists. A story on how people are not what they seem to be. Do you want to find a complex love triangle? Visit Wicked. In Wicked, the friendship is more important that the romance, but the romance helps strengthen it.
That is our season coming up. So the ones I want to see the most are Frozen, Anastasia, Les Mis, and Wicked. Still, Frozen and Anastasia are the ones that are the highest- after all never experienced them. I have experienced Frozen, but don’t know the stage show- don’t know all those new songs, but I do know a few.